I understand that Halloween seems like the perfect time to let loose and enjoy some good times with friends. When dressed up in costumes, people can sometimes act in ways that are different than what they would ordinarily do. Since Halloween falls on a Friday this year, you might be even more tempted to enjoy yourself.
As a DUI lawyer, I urge you to think about what you are doing before you begin partying. Plan to have a designated driver, or take advantage of free taxi services. I am also a former cop, and I know the police will be out in full force manning DUI checkpoints.
Your fun could come to an end if you are stopped at one of these checkpoints, fail a sobriety test, and are slapped with a Santa Barbara DUI. If this should happen to you, contact our local DUI lawyers at 805-564-3101 as soon as possible. You want the top DUI lawyers on your side to help you through this emotionally stressful time. We are experienced at dealing with a DUI plea bargain, underage DUI, breath and blood tests.
Have a Safe and Happy Halloween,
Kenneth M. Hallum
Some Sobering Halloween DUI Statistics
According to the, Halloween is a particularly deadly night on our highways. There is a treacherous combination of drivers under the influence, trick-or-treaters, and distracted drivers who may be enjoying the festive decorations. In response, local police are likely to be on the lookout for drivers they suspect of being under the influence.
For your own safety, and that of others, think about these sobering DUI statistics before you decide to get behind the wheel this Halloween:
- In 2011, 38 percent of fatalities on Halloween night occurred in a crash involving a driver or a motorcyclist with a BAC (Blood Alcohol Count) of .08 or higher. 11 percent of those fatalities involved a pedestrian. More people are killed by drunk drivers on Halloween than New Year’s Eve.
- Over the five years from 2007-2011, 23 percent of pedestrian fatalities on Halloween night involved a drunk driver.
- Monitoring the Future, in a survey of secondary school students from 1975-2013, revealed that, despite the fact that it is illegal for virtually all secondary school students and most college students to purchase alcoholic beverages, they have had a substantial amount of experience with alcohol. Alcohol has been tried by 28% of 8th graders, 52% of 10th graders, and 68% of 12th graders. By the time they reach college, 86% of young adults have tried alcohol. The prevalence of heavy drinking was 14% for 10th graders, 22% for seniors, and 35% for college students. When combined with driving, the results of these trends can be particularly harrowing. Police are especially on the lookout for underage DUI, especially at Halloween.
- In 2012, California experienced 803 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities. The number of under-21 fatalities was 97. Arrest data for the state included 736 for under 18 DUI and 172,345 total DUI.
While these statistics should be enough to convince you not to drink and drive this Halloween, remember the DUI lawyers at DUI805.com if you should find yourself in the situation of being arrested for driving under the influence. If you have already been arrested for DUI, contact the law office of Kenneth M. Hallum immediately for a free case evaluation. We will listen to your side of the story, ask you questions about the arrest and any sobriety test the officers conducted, and advise you on how we think you should proceed in your specific situation.
Halloween DUI Q & A with Your Santa Barbara DUI Attorneys
- Do I have to take a field sobriety test? It is not mandatory to take a field sobriety test in California. The best DUI lawyers in California will tell you that you are perfectly within your rights to politely decline to take these tests. Be aware that you may still be arrested, but the arresting officer will need to provide more objective proof of intoxication.
- Should I submit to a “Breathalyzer”? The preliminary alcohol screening (PAS) administered in the field is different from the breath test that is given after an arrest. You must be advised that the officer is giving you a preliminary test. You also have a right to politely refuse to take the PAS.
- What should I do if I am arrested for a Santa Barbara DUI? Remain calm, and try to remember the details of the evening and the events leading up to your arrest. Jot down the names of witnesses who may be able to attest to your demeanor. As soon as possible, summarize the details of how any sobriety tests were administered. Then call the law office of Kenneth M. Hallum at 805-564-3101.
Halloween Events in Santa Barbara, CA
Please remember to drink and drive responsibly as you enjoy these Halloween events in Santa Barbara:
- Va-Voom! Bang! Boom! Burlesque Trick or Tease: Debuting at the Blind Tiger in Santa Barbara, Thursday, October 30, 9pm-1am. The glitz, the glamor, and the art of the delicate strip tease combine with the jaw-dropping and awe-inspiring fine art of the side show. Brains, beauty and even a little blood. Live music featuring the haunting surf sounds of The Tiki Creeps. Costumes are welcomed. Come for the show. STAY for the (eye) candy!
- Voodoo Lounge 3rd Annual Halloween Rooftop Dance Party: At the Canary Hotel, Fri, Oct 31 from 9:00pm – 1:00am. Featuring DJ Scott Topper, costume contest with $250 first place prize, Haunted Action Photo Booth,Voodoo Altar, and spirited drink specials. Must be 21 or older to attend.
- : October 30, 6-10PM, Telegraph Brewing Company, 418 North Salsipuedes Street, Santa Barbara. Join Elements Theatre Collective for an interactive experience of the famed cult classic, The Rocky Horror Picture Show! Experience the Time Warp again, bid on silent auction items, enjoy locally crafted beers, and some excellent food. The perfect start to Halloween.
About DUI805.com: Information about Santa Barbara DUI attorney, Kenneth M. Hallum, can easily be found at the informative website, DUI805.com. The local DUI lawyers work with clients to understand every facet of a DUI case, from the field sobriety test to the DUI arrest. As some of the in Santa Barbara, Hallum and his staff are experienced at dealing with a DUI plea bargain, underage DUI, breath and blood tests. Visit the website at https://www.dui805.com to download a complimentary PDF entitled, “Top 10 Reasons Clients Choose Ken Hallum: Beat Your DUI By Knowing the Facts.” “Like” the Facebook page to receive timely tips and information regarding DUI offenses in Santa Barbara CA. Call 805-564-3101 for a complimentary Santa Barbara DUI Consultation.